Sunday 31 July 2016

Day 1 Result

We got a day and were whooped by the foreigners. Brexit I say!


The first Brit was Nick who did a splendid job of staying with them. I started a few minutes later with Tim Z3 and Leigh Wells LE. We had an excellent run to Wallingford then took a weak climb at WTN before making the THM turn. Then it was quite easy as far as MAM and back to Swindon although I was cautious until I stumbled on a 5.9kt average climb at WRO.

A long glide across a hole towards RIV and WH2 area before a last climb in the company of a bunch of big wings. 40k to go around a whole load of checkpoints made choosing the time to leave on climb a bit tricky. I left with 2000 over ALW but chickened when I looked better at the sky down track. I was now a couple of k down glide but chose to go back for a top up. This cost me 6 minutes or so but put me fat on glide so I then finished high. Despite having flown well up till then, I finished well down the field in 15th. Had I carried on and got home it might have been top 10. Going to study the trace and work out how to plan the final glide better.


Anyway, camp set. I stayed in the tent last night. A bit chilly and I rose at sun up! Will have to take to my own bed when it rains Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment