Saturday 20 July 2013

Day 7 result

What a result! Who would have thought that the comp numpty could do that?

I couldn't get up properly before the start so wasn't able to start early as I had wanted. The outcome was trhat I accidently started 6 minutes after the DW / F2 led gaggle. I had a nice run but not much climbing to start but managed to catch the bottom of the gaggle at Banbury. This allowed me to 'do a Matt' and follow DW / F2 down to Ledbury. I reasoned that if I could just stay with them I would beat and embarrass a lot of the pundits.

I lost a bit of ground into LED and on the way out I saw that the gaggle was climbing well off track. I didn't fancy the detour and decided to fly into the Malvern ridge and over the town where I hooked a 2000ft 4.7kt thermal. This put me back in with the gaggle and I was then able to tag along through the BAN turn and up to the Daventry area.

There the leaders set of on glide but I didn't fancy it so I mosied around under a big cu for a couple of turns putting on 700ft. This gave me a pretty secure glide to the finish although I was a bit concerned at the LUT turn.

I promised to give the credit to my glider park neighbour Nigel Mallender who prepared a fantastic breakfast including sausage, egg, and garlic mushrooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment