Sunday 7 August 2016

7th and last day of the competition

Wow, a seven day comp. Cannot remember the last. Today started wet and windy but cheered up a lot after the cold front passed.

They set au a 200 into the teeth of a gale round DEV OXS HNN and LAA. I came off tow and just could not get established. With the strong wind it was difficult to get to the start line let alone there at cloud base! Everyone left without me and I struggled on. Eventually I got a great climb in just the right position and drifted into the start zone at cloud base and set off some 20 minutes after the rest.

Before we launched I had decided to try to go N on the first leg and get onto the high ground beyond RIV. The energy lined up well for this and I had a great run pulling into wind to MAR and then on to DEV where I caught the gaggle. From there it was difficult but I stayed with the others and eventually caught Tim Scott and Leigh who brought me home.

Once again we were given a checkpoint 10k to the E of Lasham and I got there with what I thought was plenty of height but had a few clenching moments getting over the fence to land.

Well, my misfortune at the start and great choice of track to DEV put me in 2nd place for the day. G9 got the win by a substantial margin. My second 15M Nationals podium so I have returned to Booker very pleased with myself. Allow me a little boast:



I write this sat in the Elatchi waiting for a celebration curry. 12th overall is worse than last time but if you take off the 4 Johnny foreigners that were above me that makes me the 8th UK pilot this year, equalling my previous best.

Will have to work out how to do better next year....until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment