Thursday 23 August 2012

Day 5 Result

I flew the task pretty much on my own: 196k to ELY and back via STS. Cloudbase at the start was under 3000 so I waited a bit but, as I waited, the top cover thickened and I thought the day might end before I completed the task. So I started before I wanted but 30 mins after the eventual winner (He chose right).

Good 38k glide out from the N end of the line towards Bedford along a decent line but I didn't connect with any substantial lift and ended up taking a 3kt climb from quite low off a combine harvester to the SE of Bedford. Going well...

Another good glide over St Neots towards ELY then I got really limp wristed! I spent 6 minutes in a 2kt climb and started to feel uneasy. I decided to take a major deviation from track to follow some energy S towards Sandy. At the time I thought this was a good decision as I spotted some gliders turning and zoomed in to greet them. You can imagine my dismay when I found them to be the slow guys taking 1.5kts!

I moved on and found 2.7kts so soon left them behind. Still going slowly I dropped some ballast and got a modest climb near Sandy. I then found a fantastic street into MK flying 45k for just 900ft! A 3kt climb over MK put me on glide for STS turn and the 42k home.

I thought that the flight went pretty well so was disappointed to find that I was beaten by 13 minutes by Nick Tillet also in a 27. I guess he must have cored some better climbs?

The overnight leader had a mare of a day so I have picked up a couple of places but Nick has stretched the lead. Hopefully a couple more racing days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment