Monday 27 August 2012

Day 7 Result

Another landout I am afraid. I decided that I wanted to start after others and given the 337k task and Roch's weather forecast I felt that the optimum start time was about 12:30 but I would be happy until 13:00. Started at 12:44 but made a mess of the route out, however I caught T4 at Turweston and out climbed him there to get my nose ahead.

A slow point near Wellesbourne and he caught me up but I then had a good run down the only street in the sky into LUD getting there ahead of T4 and many of the 18s. After the turn we had to get to TEW. Two choices: one back the way we came up the street to the N for a long detour or straight down track. I chose the latter as it didn't look too bad, there were cu but far apart. Oh, I wished I had longer wings....

A couple of lowish saves at TEN and GRM got me round TEW and into some good air near BRO for a good run down towards LRI. Now the sun was well blocked by spreadout and approaching frontal cirrus and I found myself chasing to get back to the sun. Several weak climbs later I made it into the sun at TOW but was now too low and too late.

Once again I found it really hard to work 70 ft / min near STS and going away from the finish. Frustrated I pushed on and ended up on the ground near the prison at MK.

I don't think the task was well set into the approaching low but 11 got round, so it was do-able. The rest landed out. Thanks to a big airspace bust by FJO I made up one place to finish 7th overall. Whilst this looks like a reasonable position from 0 on day one, the fact is if I had won that day I would have still only made 6th.

Reflecting on the week, I can take away some positives and some lessons:

1) I flew well on task. I made better glides and better climbs than the winner T4 - another 27 - and many of the bigger gliders .
2) I didn't crash!
3) I won a day, by a margin, but
4) My start tactics were crap getting me on the ground on day 1
5) I need to replace my batteries (and still charge them daily)
6) I need to practice in weak conditions and work out how to make J1M climb in 1kt or less, and
7) I need to find a way of enjoying climbing slowly!

And, of course, I need to race more, to sort out the tactics.

Thanks for the kind support. Now looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment