Wednesday 20 August 2014

Day 4 Continued

We were set a 4 hour AAT with barrels at Hungerford North (15k), Finmere (25k), Chilbolton (5k), Yeovilton Reservoir (20k) and Bullington (2k) 528k possible.

Actually 528k impossible. Not a very sensible task as the first 3 barrels didn't really come into play because of airspace etc. Started just before the bunch and did my own thing which went quite well up to Brill where the air towards my target (NOS) was crappy and I ended up mouching around towards MK before turning south for a bit of a scrape until Chalgrove where I got back to cloudbase.

Several long glides and low climbs got me round CBN and into a fantastic street through Salisbury and Shaftesbury onto the plain beyond. There it got a bit trickier but I caught the bunch there, albeit a bit below them. They carried on, but I turned back with 50 minutes to run.

From there it all got a bit tricky and I found myself in the gloom at Salisbury with nowhere to go. I took a punt and headed over Boscombe towards Andover being careful to avoid Porton Down which was declared a penalty zone today. I found a 4kt climb from low down within the Wallop ATZ (they were very helpful) which put me on glide to Lasham to finish in 4:06 at 92Kph.

Still a bit behind the pace but I doubt I will be last. We will see later tonight. Update: 14th dropping me one place to 9th overall.

Ps: I believe that the traces are on Soaring Spot so I will not be posting this one on the ladder.

pps: If I thought I could have a better day, think of poor Chris Starkey. His wife drove their car over his wing this morning. Not good for marital bliss!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jim really enjoying your blog keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete