Friday 22 August 2014

Day 5 Friday

Today started a bit grey but promised good thermals later. Pete set 326k with lots of turns to get around Chris Evans' Carfest: ALT BSN AVE BLY MEM MOT LA5 LA7

The weather man, Dave Masson, gave us a very positve forecast but omitted to mention the wave or the top cover! We all started late and flew straight into a hole. So having turned BSN we were all in the dirt. I found a weak thermal at 1400ft but others flew down to 400ft or so!

Having got away at Newbury a good run in and out of AVE to the Oxford area  where I got a great climb to cloudbase. Good job becuase next was a long 32k glide to Aylesbury. I closed the vents and flew at 65kts all the way holding my breath. Good climbs in and out of BLY and took a northerly line towards BIC before turning towards Oxford.

There some top cover appeared and I had a very edgy glide into MEM and then downwind to a combine which got me up from 2000ft onto glide for home. 8th today and 9th overall. Took at least one scalp!

If you take a look at the trace you will notice that I got the best glides crosswind. Pity I didn't clock this on task.

Tomorrow looks good.

No comments:

Post a Comment