Sunday 11 July 2010

Day 6 Sunday

Today Sid Snot published his forecast which was excellent and deserving of a 400 with an early start. He then changed his mind and said that soaring would stop within a couple of hours under the approaching front.

Director set a weasly 200k NAI ILS BUL SAN NY1 which was flown in 1hr 49m seriously devaluing the day. Well done Watty for the day win beating the next competitor by a country mile. Me, I started before the main pack but after the twins, Leigh and Tim. Ended up flying the whole task on my own only catching the guys in front at the finish line.

The day was a bit tricky to get right. Despite the light wind wave was interfering with the thermals which were very tight, broken a couple of times to base, and the good ones hard to come by. I put the welly down and used all the working band taking only one or two really satisfying climbs.

The best climb was my last at Kemble. It was so good I lingered too long and got 1200 over glide on a 4 McCready, some 26:1 to the line into a light headwind. Add to this a really good street and I had to fly at Va to use the height crossing the line at some 140kts!!

Any road, I had a good day. 9th on the day, beating 3 National Champions and one World Champion. Good enough I think. The comp overall was, however, a disaster coming nearly last after my brain fart and dropped day. I have taken some training plans away though and also know that my glider is a match for the others and that the pilot is too, on occasion! Just need more experience and more patience.

Leigh took the comp with Chris Starkey second and Tim third. Matt was disappointed with his 4th but the guys above did fly well and he should not feel too bad.

If you liked the blog, I'll do it again next year.

Bye for now, Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment