Wednesday 7 July 2010

Tuesday Day 3

Well that's blown it! Serious brain fart caused me to come nearly last for the day. Director set NYM SAN ANE NOS NY1 in order to beat the advancing warm front.Started well and proceeded very well getting right to the top of the lead gaggle with LE and G9, Z3 and M2 someway below.


Around about Swindon the gaggle had become huge and a bit scary and I was puzzled as to why LE and G9 were hanging around at cloudbase when I could see a perfectly good line into ANE. Bosh! I went for it, my chance for glory...Sometime later I was grovelling off the ground at Whitchurch watching the gaggle go by overhead.

The rest of flight was a fight to stay up and get around. The 8/8 cirrus came over and the wind got up to 17kts against, climbs were bitty away from cloudbase but I was surprised how I was able to proceed. At NOS I felt that a land out at Enstone would be an achievement but found that the cu under the top cover did work OK and I was able to make energy lines home. The last 30k rained on me but I was able to arrive with some water and plenty of energy to observe the reason one doesn't have a turbo as 601 slipped over the edge and failed to start his before arriving in a small sloping field. At 3hrs 57mins, I beat two finishers, 2 landouts, and one crash.

Well done to Shack who stayed with the crowd and finished 8th. And talking of turbos, I understand Denis did a fine 500. Maybe he has been taking something? 

Off to rig, Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment